AFTER FREAKING the hell out of moviegoers in the Philippines with its unique but effectively haunting storyline and superb cinematography, GMA Films’ 2011 thriller movie The Road will pave the way to Hollywood fame as it becomes the first all-Filipino film to be commercially released in North America and Canada this May.
Through an international distribution agreement with Philippine film production company GMA Films, Hollywood-based international film distribution outfit Freestyle Releasing commercially releaseed The Road in the mainstream American and Canadian markets beginning this past May 11, 2012.
The movie, a brainchild of internationally-acclaimed film director Yam Laranas, will be shown in over 50 theaters across North America and Canada. The Road also held a glitzy red carpet premiere in Los Angeles, California on May 9. The event was graced by the film’s producers, cast, director, as well as prominent celebrities in Hollywood and in the international film industry.
“I think this is the first time that a locally-produced Filipino film will be distributed commercially by an international releasing outfit in the U.S. and Canada, and treated like a Hollywood-produced movie. This is not simply a special off-shore screening of a locally-produced film; this is in fact a full-fledged commercial distribution deal, and there’s a big difference between the two,” said GMA Films President Annette Gozon-Abrogar.
“We are honored to have the opportunity to exhibit the ingenuity and creativity of our artists and directors in the international market. It’s about time that we show the world that we, Filipinos, are not only good in boxing or singing, we can also excel in the field of movie-making. The release of The Road in the U.S. and Canada is good news not just for GMA Films but also for the Philippine film industry because this would inspire especially our new generation of directors, writers, cinematographers and artists to perfect their skills and aspire for greater heights,” said GMA Chairman and CEO Felipe L. Gozon.
Director Laranas also expressed his happiness on the outcome of his film.
“I am very excited for GMA in this history-making and pioneering development for The Road. This opens a ton of possibilities in the international arena not just for GMA Films or GMA Network but also for GMA Pinoy TV. This only proves that quality entertainment of international standard is of high importance to the network,” he said.
The Road’s U.S. release is co-presented by GMA’s international channels GMA Pinoy TV and GMA Life TV.
Described by international film critics as “creepy to the extreme” (KillerFilm.com) and a “beautifully shot supernatural tale with incredible effects and great scares” (Bloody Disgusting), The Road is a story about a twelve-year-old cold case, which was recently reopened when three teenagers went missing while traversing an infamous and abandoned road. As investigators try to find leads to the whereabouts of the missing teens, they also unearth the road’s gruesome past that spans two decades – a history of abduction, crimes and murders. Although the road is isolated, anyone who tries to pass through it can be sure that he is not alone. Lingering in the dark and desolate pathway is a vengeful ghost who makes sure no one leaves the road – alive!
The movie stars Rhian Ramos, Carmina Villarroel, Marvin Agustin, TJ Trinidad, tween stars Alden Richards, Barbie Forteza, Louise delos Reyes, Derrick Monasterio, Lexi Fernandez, Ynna Asistio and Renz Valerio. Also starring in the film are John Regala, Lloyd Samartino, Gerald Madrid, Allan Paule and Ms. Jacklyn Jose.
The Road will also be simultaneously released in digital home video format (DVD) and will be made available globally via subscription-based and online distribution platforms including Video-on-Demand (VoD), Amazon Prime, Netflix, and iTunes.
The Philippine’s flag carrier Philippine Airlines and The Belo Medical Group are partners of GMA Films in bringing The Road to the U.S..
GMA Filmsis the movie production arm of Philippine media giant GMA Network, Inc.
NOW SHOWING IN SELECT THEATERS NATIONWIDE:
- Empire 25 Theaters - New York, NY
- Main Street Quad 6 - Flushing, NY
- Center Cinema 5 - Sunnyside, NY
- Cherry Hill 24 - Cherry Hill, NJ
- Bergenfield Cinema 5 - Bergenfield, NJ
- AMC Jersey Gardens 20 - Elizabeth, NJ
- Allwood Cinema 6 - Clifton, NJ
- Neshaminy 24 - Bensalem, PA
- AMC Hoffman Center 22 - Alexandria, VA
- Lynnhaven 18 - Virginia Beach, VA
- AMC Loews 600 North Michigan 9 - Chicago, IL
- Village Crossing 18 - Skokie, IL
- Rosemont 18 - Rosemont, IL
- South Barrington 30 - South Barrington, IL
- Angelika Film Center and Cafe - Dallas, TX
- Grapevine Mills 30 Theatres - Grapevine, TX
- Firewheel 18 - Garland, TX
- Studio 30 Theatres - Houston - Houston, TX
- Premiere Renaissance 15 - Houston, TX
- Regency 24 Jacksonville - Jacksonville, FL
- Aventura Mall 24 Theatres - Aventura, FL
- Palace 18 - Miami, FL
- Aurora Movie Tavern 10 - Aurora, CO
Los Angeles, CA:
- Chinese 6 - Hollywood, CA
- Burbank Town Center 8 - Burbank, CA
- Marina Pacifica 12 - Long Beach, CA
- Playhouse 7 Cinemas - Pasadena, CA
- Covina 30 - Covina, CA
- Block 30 @ Orange - Orange, CA
- Buena Park 18 - Buena Park, CA
San Diego, CA:
- Gaslamp All Stadium 15 - San Diego, CA
- Mission Valley 20 - San Diego, CA
- Palm Promenade 24 - San Diego, CA
- The Presidio - San Fran, CA
- Camera 12 - San Jose, CA
- Mercado 20 - Santa Clara, CA
- Osio Plaza 6 - Monterrey, CA
Las Vegas, NV:
- Tropicana Cinema - Las Vegas, NV
- Brenden Palms 14 - Las Vegas, NV
- Westgate 20 - Glendale, AZ
- Arizona Mills 24 Theatre - Tempe, AZ
- AMC Southcenter 16 - Tukwila, WA
- Kitsap Mall 8 - Silverdale, WA
- River Park Square 20 - Spokane, WA
- Pearlridge West 16 - Aiea, HI
- Kapolei Theatres 16 - Kapolei, HI